Repurposing the screen

hacks
help

I had gotten my son the Kano Kit a few years ago. He didn’t take to it as I had hoped and he just put everything on his shelf to collect dust. Recently I was was looking to buy a small portable monitor to use as a 2nd screen for my laptop and I figured that I could just use his old Kano Screen. When I powered it up with the pi still attached the screen worked fine. Then I just changed the HDMI from the pi to my laptop and I got “No Signal” followed by the green LED turning red.

So I plugged a different pi I had, running LibreELEC, into it and it worked fine again.

Is there a way to make it work as a usb powered portable monitor for any hdmi video source?

Although the specification information on the screen says “Works with any HDMI device” perhaps the issue is something to do with how your Laptop “senses” the resolution of the Kano Screen. It’s 1280x800 - so you may just need to go in to the advanced display settings on your laptop and force it to the supported format.

You mention “USB powered”. How are you powering it? Are you not using the power supply provided with the kit? Your (laptop) USB port likely does not provide enough power for the screen

It is getting enough power to turn on and then give me a no signal alert. My laptop is not even registering a secondary display being plugged in.

Ok so you are really trying to power the display via the USB Port on the laptop? How about you just try powering using a proper power adaptor? Having a power led come on might not be a good indicator of a fully functioning display

Anyhow. That’s my only suggestion. Good luck