Multilanguage Kano

Hey all. Happy New Year !

Considering 1. there’s a lot of interest for localization (obviously) and 2. it’s only natural for a learning project to try and be available in other languages, could we propose that localization is included in the roadmap, even in longt-term ? It’s a lot of effort and work, sometimes involved third-party product (which we have little influence on), agreed, but it’s the logical way to go, I think.

Way to go ? :wink:

Happy New Year @petitpoisson!

A few of us were having a chat in the office on New Years Eve… and have the beginnings of a plan!

Can you give us a few days?

I want to make sure we’ve got everything in place, and some solid information to share with you before saying any more. :smiley:

Thanks!

Chris

Yippee ! Christmas a bit later :smile:
Take all the time you need. Any progress will be great. Thanks !

Thank you very much for the information

HI there , i’m up for helping with french translation too. Thanks Kano’s teams for the good work , my kid love it.

Quick Update

We think, that the best way forward would be to open up the text strings, ask collaborators to share translations, get the final versions of those translations checked out, and then add them to a build of the OS.

We looked at the option of language packs, and due to the way that the OS and Apps within it are coded, this looks like a very complicated option… so has been discarded.

What we’re looking at right now is:

• Finding the best tool for the job for collaborative translations (we’ve used something in the past that we’re looking to re-configure/reactivate… just need a few more members of the team back in the office to confirm wether this is the best route to take).

• How many languages we open this out to - would it be most logical to start with French, Spanish(ES), and German for example?

• Timescale. We don’t want to start this project without being able to tell you when the translations would appear in the OS.

• Workload. How this fits in with other priorities the engineering/product teams have for 2019.

Hooray ! That’s superb news for a great new year starting ! :slight_smile:

My two cents here :

Many thanks again. Looking forward !

This is excellent news !

If you’re looking for collaborators, i raise my hand for the french part.

I’ll keep an eye on this thread. I’m working in IT so i’m sure i can be a good helper in many kind of ways.

Happy new year to Kano team !

Happy new year! And thanks for The great news. I would love to contribute for the German translation of the OS. So give me a note.

Hey Guys,
I’ve been watching keno for some time now and love the project, because computers and coding is such a big part of our lives nowadays. Especially for kids growing up with this technology it becomes more and more important to teach them the basics early that they more intuitively use it.
If you still need someone for German, you can count on me.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share another quick update - the engineering an product team are currently working out priorities/projects for the year ahead, so we will know where we stand shortly.

As I’ve said, I love the enthusiasm for a community driven multi language Kano OS, but I also want to be very up front and honest with our ability to take on the engineering work required to make this happen, given the other things we are committed to.

Still working internally to build out a plan, just need everyone to understand that Kano in multiple languages might not happen quickly.

Most importantly I don’t want to ask for translations, get you guys and gals involved and excited , and then us not have the resource to implement within a reasonable timescale.

More updates to follow!

Cheers

Chris