Kano Power Board - Does it only control the battery? What about GPIO pins?

At rest, it seems that holding the red button for 3 seconds only enables the battery and that holding it for 10 seconds afterwards just shuts it down. The screen and Pi are only aware of power being supplied or not.

For the 10 second duration, does it interact with any of the GPIO pins?

It would be great to read the value of any of the GPIO pins so a proper shutdown command can be issued.

Hey @KanoGamer,

Just checked in with the engineering team - the GPIO pins are only used to transmit power to the Raspberry Pi board, and one bit of data that tells the Pi if the battery is running out of power.

A redesigned power HAT would be needed for anything more exciting! :wink:

Hope that helps!

Chris

Thanks for the super quick response, Chris!

Regarding that one bit of info where it tells the Pi the battery is low. How and what GPIO pin is it using to transmit that?

Is the a process running in the Kano OS to listen for this message?

If the current power board / hat doesn’t allow for a GPIO pin to be shorted/triggered, the next best alternative is to have a python script to listen for a state change on a GPIO pin from the low battery signal/message and then issue a proper shutdown.

Thanks!

Pinging to learn more about this

Hey @KanoGamer,

No further info I can dig up at the moment, our electronics team are in the bunker working on something interesting and can’t be disturbed - as soon as I can catch up with them, I will ask.

If you flip the hat over, you might be able to work out what’s connected though…