Driver board for Kano Screen Kit ( non Touch Screen)

The Micro B USB port fell off my grand daughter Kano Screen Kit Driver board. does any one know where I can get a replacement board or have a print out to the HC10MST_K board that came on it. The Micro USB port is just a power supply port and If I have to I can solder a couple of jumper wires.
Thank You
Jeff

1 Like

Support got back to me and stated they no longer support the kano Screen kit. I understand that, I was looking to find out find is they knew of a source for a replacement 10.1" LCD HD Driver Board with a Micro USB B port. Most of the boards that I see online are bigger and also have the VGA ports on them. Looks like I may have to repair it myself. The Micro USB B uses five pins and a grounded “case”. Since this is just the power supply, All I need is the Ground(-) and the +5vdc pins. That is good news because some of the Surface Mount USB “pads” were torn off when the USB port broke free. The outer shell mount pad and I believe the #5 pin are the same, the ground (-) so I can solder one wire there. The micro pad for the +5vdc is torn off. But I can trace that back to the middle of the board to where it goes to the small black rectangle shaped Voltage Regulator. The Voltage regulator has three pins (Vin) = power in, Ground and (Vout) = regulated power out. I can solder the second wire here to the Vin for the +5vdc from the power supply.
They make a Micro USB B 'breakout Board" , It is just a small Printed circuit board with a Micro USB B mounted on it and leads going back to where you can solder on them. I will bolt this to the top of the plastic Kano driver board shield and solder the two wire to it and I should be good to go. I just ordered two of the Micro USB B breakout boards from Ebay for $3.59. When they get here I will file down the tip of one of my low watt soldering irons to fit the very small Surface Mount pads and have a try at it.
Jeff

1 Like

oh haha I was just gonna give you a link to a new piece :rofl:

Where did you find a link to a new board?
Jeff

1 Like

the entire screen or just the micro usb?

Hi
I am still interested in finding a replacement part is possible. Re-soldering Surface Mount parts is not very fun and does not always work.
Thank You
Jeff

1 Like

I just need the Driver board on the back or a whole screen if it is cheap enough.
Jeff

1 Like

I found this for $75 but I don’t think it is the official kano screen and it comes with a new raspberry pi

I have seen those for as low as $59 on amazon. I may have to keep look for just the board.
Thank You
Jeff

1 Like

I’ll do some more searching for you if you want

is this the wright screen?

Yes that is the correct screen.
Jeff

1 Like

okay ill try to find it by itsself

I am sorry to say this but you cannot buy the screen kits separately any more you can only but the touch screen separately

I just finish a another web search and even Digikey did not have one that would fit. I found several that I could make work. I think I will wait for the parts to come in and then try and repair the one that I have and IF that does not work then I will see what I can adapt to fit. Thank you for your help and time.
Jeff

1 Like

I found it but read the note

you very welcome and to be honest I never knew there was a non touch screen kit and a have been using kano for several years now XD

I have given two of my grand kids Touch Screen Kanos and I have one for myself. I am new to Linux and I wanted to experiment with using it on one of the Kano’s to see if I could down load a few more games and learning programs for them. It started with down loading the Super Tux game from the Kano apps site. It will not work on the Kano, something with it now using a updated program.
I know Kano OS is a version of Raspbian, I wanted to see if I could download Raspbian apps to the Kano. I did not what to mess with my Kano Touch and I figured that they had to have added programing for the Touch. So I picked up a Kano Screen and another Kano Computer Kit with the PI3 b in it to experiment with. Then I found out the Screen’s power port (Micro USB B) was broke off. I also want to burn NOOBS to another sim card and play with that in the kano. So the Screen kit seem like the simple choice.
Jeff

Hello folks! I know I’m super late to the party, but thought of something that might help. For context I’m an ex-kano employee who worked on many of these products. Do keep in mind my memory is a bit rusty so proceed at your own risk.

The Screen Kit, Computer Kit Complete, and Computer Kit Touch all used the same panels and almost identical versions of the driver boards. The touch screen driver is electrically separate to the screen driver, even though they’re on the same physical PCB.

You’ll notice that there’s a set of 10 blank holes on almost all of the boards - this was for a control panel that was removed on later models (first Screen Kits came with a controller). These are for adjusting things like brightness/contrast which weren’t particularly useful in practice and hence removed.

Amongst these pins is a connection for 5v input. I’ve tested this with a Computer Kit Touch and can confirm it works. Here’s where you can find them for that particular model:

I don’t have any other screens on hand to test other versions, unfortunately. I strongly recommend that you use a multimeter to test for continuity between the broken micro-usb power and the pins shown before soldering or introducing power. Once you have it working, it should be easy enough to solder on a replacement port using a cable like this as a base:

Really hope this is of some use to you. Do let me know how you get on!

1 Like

Wow, great information. I will have to check this out.
Thank You
Jeff