Computer Kit - random freezes

My son is loving his Kano Computer kit.

But it keeps lagging, freezing and crashing when he’s doing fairly straight-forward activities, such as using the internet, or doing some basic bits and pieces in Scratch.

Typically the cursor becomes unresponsive, or it won’t allow him to ‘click’. Sometimes we are able to get back to the home screen, but normally we’re having to physically unplug the power cable to reset it.

Is there anything we can do - Task Manager / Performance Monitor style - to try and work out what’s going on here? Or any ideas how to force close apps that are running / unresponsive?

Thanks

Hello!

I am glad your son is enjoying his kano kit! As for it freezing, it may do that some times. Kano Kits come with a Raspberry Pi 3 computer. I have posted the specs for these below:

Raspberry Pi 3 Specifications

SoC: Broadcom BCM2837
CPU: 4× ARM Cortex-A53, 1.2GHz
GPU: Broadcom VideoCore IV
RAM: 1GB LPDDR2 (900 MHz)
Networking: 10/100 Ethernet, 2.4GHz 802.11n wireless
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.1 Classic, Bluetooth Low Energy
Storage: microSD
GPIO: 40-pin header, populated
Ports: HDMI, 3.5mm analogue audio-video jack, 4× USB 2.0, Ethernet, Camera Serial Interface (CSI), Display Serial Interface (DSI)

I am so sorry you are having these issues. It could be because of the RAM. How many tabs does he have up at a time may I ask? I hope you have a wonderful day!

~Patrick (DJPMcG on Kano World)

Ok but how do I close the app if it’s frozen?

I would also like to know if there’s a way to force close apps that are unresponsive. I told my kids to have only one tab, so hopefully that helps.