A Solution to Coding Wand Bluetooth Connection Issues on Mac

Following on from a couple of posts about Bluetooth connectivity with Mac and the Coding Wand, I’ve been trying to replicate issues, and find solutions.

Typically, if things aren’t working well, the experience seems to go something like this:

1. Wand connected
  2. Works for a few minutes
  3. Vanishes
  4. Reconnects (or not)
  5. Repeat

Googling for known issues with Mac and Bluetooth throws up all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff.

But a prevailing theory seems to be that a combination of…

• …an “older” machine (more than 3 years)…
  • …that’s been through lots of updates to OSX/Mac OS (on my test rig Mavericks to Mojave)…
  • …and has had a variety of Bluetooth devices connected to it in it’s life…

…the more chance there is that something has gone wobbly in the Bluetooth profile.

Before we get too far into this, let’s just go ahead and check you’ve tried the basics:

• Your Coding Wand has batteries in and turns on.
  • You’re using the newest version of the Kano App.
  • Your Mac’s Bluetooth is turned on.
  • Your OSX/Mac OS install is up to date.
  • You tried turning your Bluetooth off, and back on again and this didn’t help.

If you answered yes to all the above, let’s head on under the hood of your Mac, and give those Bluetooth settings a deep clean.

Note: You’re about to remove all Bluetooth devices from your Mac, so please make sure you have a wired keyboard and mouse available if you normally use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

First up we need to enable the Bluetooth menu.

To do this, head to System Preferences (found under the Apple symbol at the top left corner of your screen), click on the Bluetooth logo, and tick the “Show Bluetooth in menu bar” checkbox.

Next we’re going to remove all devices from your Mac’s table of known Bluetooth devices.

1. Hold down the Shift and Option(alt) keys on your keyboard, and then click the Bluetooth icon on the top right of your screen.

2. This pops open a drop down menu.

3. Let go of the Shift and Option(alt) keys on your keyboard

1. Scroll down to Debug, across to Remove all devices.

2. Click to remove all Bluetooth devices from your Mac.

Then we’re going to reset the Bluetooth System.

1. Hold down the Shift and Option(alt) keys on your keyboard, and then click the Bluetooth icon on the top right of your screen.

2. This pops open a drop down menu.

3. Let go of the Shift and Option(alt) keys on your keyboard

1. Scroll down to Debug, across to Reset the Bluetooth Module.

2. Click to Reset the Bluetooth Module.

Finally, restart your Mac, and start adding back in your Bluetooth devices.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Chris

Kano Mac App Frozen on Wand Centering
Harry Potter Kano Coding Kit - The Compatible Devices Mega Thread *Community Project*
Harry Potter Kano Coding Kit - The Compatible Devices Mega Thread *Community Project*

@flyingtacos hopefully this helps on your Macbook Air!

Following your steps to remove all paired devices and then reset the bluetooth module fixed the connection issues between the coding wand and my Macbook Air.

Thanks so much!